This is probably one of the more tedious undertakings but it was still enjoyable.
First- the flowers! So many flowers! Each one took quite a bit of time. The first took me two hours to figure out how I liked the design best.
They're white chrysanthemums- traditional at a chinese funeral.
Next, the portrait. I first did the portrait in pencil to size, then went over it in black marker where I planned to cut it out.
This is partway into cutting
This is the result with a white sheet of paper behind it so you can see it
Originally it wasn't supposed to be backed at all, but it was too difficult to see. I tried a number of colors and decided on yellow
We agreed it was missing something with just the flowers and the portrait, and needed something to soften the edges. So I added a frame and the yellow "drape"
Played with the layering and placing of flowers, and the final picture!
...actually I found an extra flower after this which I added. When I get back home I'll upload a better photo of the final ^_^